The family of Dapto one-punch accused Matthew Domio has described as "bittersweet" a jury's decision to acquit him of fatally assaulting his father in a drunken dispute three years ago.
Mr Domio was one of the first people in NSW to be charged with assault causing death (under the influence) after the NSW Government introduced the legislation in response to the tragic deaths of teenagers Thomas Kelly and Daniel Christie in Kings Cross.
He faced trial in August that year however jurors were unable to reach a unanimous verdict and the case was declared a mistrial.
A second hearing was set down for late last year but had to be abandoned after Mr Domio's lawyer fell ill.
The re-trial finally proceeded this week, with a fresh jury panel hearing evidence that Mr Domio been a frequent and long-standing victim of his father's violent and abusive outbursts.
Mr Domio's lawyers said their client didn't deny punching Dario but argued jurors could not rule out that he was acting in self defence.
The jury took less than 45 minutes to find Mr Domio not guilty of the charge on Thursday afternoon.
Outside court, a relieved Mr Domio thanked his family and friends for their support, saying it had been "a very long three years".
"It was a great outcome, I'm very happy with it," he said.
"The verdict's not going to bring out dad back or anything but at least now we can grieve a bit better."
"It's very surreal," Mr Domio's mother, Julie Morgan, said.
"It's bittersweet, at the end of the day it's still bittersweet."